Celebrating Bogus Bhogi and Pongal
On Wednesday Jan 13 Tamil Nadu celebrated Bhogi. A festival celebrated on the last day of the last month of the Tamil year. This is the time of the year when I become that much more heavier. In a way pongal can be said as the New year in Tamil Nadu. People say Bhogi is about burning the old and starting afresh.
Perhaps we were never good at metaphors or we just refuse to dont want to understand. No wonder the Indian constitution is one of the longest, given we find loopholes to exploit.We Indians have the best brains in the world. No one knows better than us about how to misconstrue quotes like the above.
We asked Dubakoor Guru and he came out with this to help them
How to create artificial mist in Chennai and justify it?
1. Burn lots of paper and bed sheets.
2. If people question why? say you are burning new and starting afresh and that is the essence of bhogi
3. If that doesn't convince them, then say they are destroy our culture
4. Burn tyres which give away smoke and irritate the enforcers.
5. Say you did this for supporting the claim “Changing Chennai” and you trying to bring Ooty to Chennai
6. When people wake up in the morning they would think they are in Ooty; flights would be delayed; people cant drive cars easily and Say poor get their revenge on the rich who are exploiting them.
It is really a pain in the ass when i see people doing these kind of stuff. They piss on train tracks, burn wastes, pollute the river. 20 years of my life has been done in and only change i see is the amount of smoke, which is increasing.
You wouldn't believe me. I dont litter on the road. I keep the trash in my pant pockets or throw in the dustbin. Just when i do that, people so casually throw the wastes. This is one time when Gandhi’s “be the change you want to be” wont work
One thing I have observed is that the majority of people committing these acts are people who are old, new to the city, have no idea about technology and still think snake swallows the son when an eclipse occurs.
At least the coming generation is somewhat better than the oldies. But still the young people from lower strata are absolutely uneducated about the effects of their act of burning things for the sake of it.
Another Insight I would like to share is about the difference how us and the west celebrate the year.Their new year starts with a hang over; ours with garlands hung around the house; A hell a lot of money is burnt in alcohol and partying by them; we quite literally burn the old things. One thing is that we people wish happy new year on not our new year but their year.